- Support understanding of child and adolescent development and how to incorporate that knowledge into classroom practice
- Build knowledge and understanding about how diversity of language and culture create a valuable classroom context to enhance children’s ability to express resiliency
- Support high quality and effective teaching through providing a strong background in content that capitalizes on the richness of urban experiences
- Collaboratively develop a wide range of instructional strategies for urban schools
- Encourage interdisciplinary work in order to understand the complex systemic issues surrounding all 21st century schools
- To produce and graduate teachers who can make a difference for urban school children
- To produce research that identifies the tested theories, resources, best practices and skill sets these teachers need to succeed in that goal.